Substitution is an additional form of research culminating in a degree, and it aims to encourage IGSEans’ academic and professional activities. Instead of writing a thesis or project, students can 1) publish a book (ELT teaching/learning materials, theory books, etc.), 2) make two academic presentations at an ELT conference, 3) publish an academic paper in a reviewed journal, 4) develop a curriculum and run the program at an institute, or 5) create and run an ELT website or launch a smart-phone application.
▶ Article Publication
If a student gets to publish an ELT related article in one of the KCI/SSCI/A&HCI journals, they can be substituted from Thesis/Project writing.
- The impact of cognitive style on errors in English writing through extensive reading: A case study (English Teaching 2014, 69 (2))
▶ Conference Presentation
It requires two presentations at academic conferences to be substituted. The students can present either a paper or poster - though the poster presentation counts only once.
- The impact of ELT testing on EFL teaching practices in South Korea
- Developing a guidebook to run an English UCC club
▶ ELT Materials Publication
Students can publish ELT materials at a commercial publisher, and get a substitution.
- 스토리가 있는 카툰 영단어
- Monster 중학 영단어
- 개발자 영어: 코드로 감잡다
▶ Other Types of Substitution
- Curriculum development & actual running at a language institution
- Web-page development & actual running
- Application development and actual running
▶ Information Literacy 1 & 2
▶ ELT Academic Activites